I absolutely love this time of year! The garden is full of fresh greens, the raspberries are just starting to ripen, and the weather is warming with the promise of summer.
This salad is made mostly from things growing in my garden. The greens are a wild garden kale mixture from Territorial Seed Company. Picked at just a few inches long, the leaves are tender and mild and just slightly piquant – perfect to offset the sweetness of the fresh raspberry vinaigrette.
Wild Kale & Baby Dill Salad with Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette
For the Salad:
- 4 cups baby kale (or other salad greens), washed and dried thoroughly
- 1/4 cup fresh baby dill, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh ripe raspberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- raspberry vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Toss kale and dill together in a large bowl. Pour the desired amount of vinaigrette over the top and toss to coat.
- Top with raspberries and pecans.
- Serve immediately.
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup fresh, ripe raspberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- Combine all ingredients in blender and process until well combined.
- Extra can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for several days.
The addition of dill may seem like an odd choice, but trust me, you HAVE to try it! Several years ago I bought a bag of mixed greens at the farmer’s market that included baby dill. I couldn’t get enough of it. Sadly, the farm that sold the mixture of greens that I had become addicted to, stopped selling at the market last year. So, now I make my own. I grow dill right alongside my salad greens, and harvest it when it’s tiny (4 – 6 inches tall). A few sprigs of it added to a salad makes such a difference. Try it, and let me know what you think!
If you want to serve this as a main dish, slices of grilled chicken breast would make a nice addition. Crumbled goat cheese would also go well, although this salad was pretty perfect just as is!
PS: For creative inspiration delivered right to your inbox, be sure to sign up for our newsletter!